So the Fonnesbeck family had a very eventful week... and not the good kind. We spent time in the Accident and Emergency or Er to you all twice this week once for both of our girls.. Oh yeah we are that family!!
First we went in Monday morning for Violet. On Sunday afternoon after her nap, she woke up crying and she wouldn't stand on her one leg, she wouldn't put any weight on it. I was concerned, but she was fine otherwise, playing happily, just not walking around. So we decided to drug her up and wait until the morning, and if she still wasn't using her leg, we would go to the doctor. Well Monday morning came and she wouldn't stand or walk on her leg. I called the doctor and got in right away. The doctor said she couldn't see any reasons why but it concerned her so she sent us to the hospital to get her checked out. We got there, and we sat in the ER waiting for them to figure out what to do. Then the nurse came in and told us we had to have bloodwork done. She looked at Violet's arms and feet and couldn't find a vein.. She said it may take a few times. Well that made me feel real good! Anyway a few minutes later I called Joel and told him to come to the hospital as we may be there for a while. But sadly before he came Violet had to have her blood drawn... it was a traumatic experience for us both. I had to pin her to me, she was sitting on my lap and I had to hold her super tight, while the lady poked her a few times and tried to get some blood. Finally after two tries she got it.. But not before Violet screamed her beautiful little head off and tried to get away from me... man is she strong. Then after that.. Right after that we had to go for x-rays. She was still doing that gasping kids do after they were crying really hard, and we had to go through yet another traumatic experience. Again I had to hold her down to a table this time while this huge machine moved in on her.. she was not having any of it, and after about 10 minutes of trying we both left the room sweating crying and without an x-ray. I couldn't hold her down long enough, we needed daddy for that.
When we came back from the x-ray dept Joel was waiting there with a quiet and calm Adeline. Violet gave daddy a hug and showed him her hand where the lady drew blood and started crying again, just remembering it she was all upset. At this point we were in the main ER part, not really made for children, so they told us they were going to move us to the children’s hospital bit to finish up the tests.. It’s a brand new really great hospital kind of attached to the main hospital. Interesting fact the children's hospital is built to the dimensions of Noah's Ark... It’s very very big.
When we got to the children’s hospital they wanted to do an ultra sound on her hips, I though this was going to be terrible too..but actually because it was a children’s hospital they had all these different bits to distract them... they had a cool lamp that projected images on the ceiling for her to look at, fish on the walls, and in a fake aquarium with bubbles..so as the lady was doing the US she hardly noticed because she was looking at the cool things around!
After that we were sent to the waiting room (which we stayed there for hours without anyone telling us anything) until they could do an x-ray on her... I sent Joel there I couldn’t handle that again. The machine was already set up for her and ready, and they had the same things around to distract her. She wasn't so calm this time, but it wasn't as bad, but Joel had a big orderly to help hold her down.. that would have been nice to have the first time really.
So after all that was done, we were in the waiting room for ages, no one telling us anything or helping us. Finally a nurse came in about 3 or so, and said oh did the doctor not come in and talk to you... well she will be another hour or so because she wants her superior to come and look at Violet to asses her, and also did they tell you they want you to stay for a while for observation?' I said 'um, no, we have been sitting here for at least 2 hours with no one telling us anything, and no one really 'observing' her" Can we go into a room or something, where its more comfortable?' She is like "oh of course you can..sorry!" Honestly people.. well anyway we were able to spend our last 2 or so hours in a nice room waiting for the doc to come and talk to us.
The doc finally came in and told us that all her tests were negative and that is a really good hting. And that it’s an inflammation of her hips from a cold or sickness. And the pain should go away in a few days. They said that they take this very seriously in children because it could be something serious and that’s why we were there all day to make sure all her tests were fine. I am really glad they took us seriously and checked her over thoroughly! All day Violet was asking to go home.. finally we were able to tell her she could go home, and she was very happy about this.
that was Monday, and on Wednesday afternoon she finally started walking again.. and boy was she happy about that, she was jumping and running all over the place!
So then we had a day and a half of no problems, but the Friday afternoon Adeline was just chilling on my having a nice little sleep and then all of a sudden she vomited big time… huge projectile vomits! Then she vomited up bright yellow stuff, I assumed it was bile after vomiting up all her other food. But I wanted to make sure, so I called this nurse line the NHS have, and the nurse told me I should go to the ER.. um really? So I had to get a taxi and go to the ER again in the same week. I went there and Adeline was sleeping and fine. And right after her bout of vomit she was smiling and cooing at me, acting super happy. So a visit to the ER seemed a bit over the top for me. We were waiting in the ER and all these people were piling in the waiting room as well.. even a police escorted woman, that was fun. Mind you this was on the 5th of November, Guy Fawkes night, which is a night to light of fireworks and build huge bon fires…so I was hoping we would b out of there before the big injuries were coming in from lighting of fireworks while drunk!
The doctor who saw us was a slow talker and a slow mover but seemed nice. I told him what happened and that the NHS direct told me to come here. He looked her over, checked her over thoroughly and said that she was fine. That it could be a stomach bug or it could be an infant just vomiting but the yellow stuff was bile and its nothing to worry about. He said the nurse line has a script to go by, and that they have to advise certain things, and can’t really go off the script. So he told me to call the after hours doctors instead and they can offer better advice at times. So basically telling me that I didn’t need to come in and that the nurse line wasn’t the place to call for an infant!!
So there… Adeline has been fine and happy since, and I felt a bit silly going to the ER for a baby puking, but hey better safe than sorry right!
So there, that’s our very eventful week of ER visits.


1 comment:
beautiful babies. So glad each is alright.
Post a Comment