I started labour around 8am on Monday morning and tried to ignore the contractions and get on through out the day! In fact mom and i went shopping (we bought curtains and storage things for our bathroom!) And later that evening we went out for Chinese dinner. By then my contractions were getting stronger and closer together! As we sat at dinner I would have contractions and the poeple next to me kept on staring because I would clench the table and breathe funny.... and we were basically asked to leave the restaurant! Oh well maybe we shouldn't have gone out anyway huh!? So
then after another 3 or so hours of contractions I couldn't take it any more and called the hospital and begged them to let me come. The hospital said that they were full at the moment and would call em back when they had cleared a room. A while later they called back and said to come in!
We got to the hospital and they started to check me and Violet's heart rate! I wasn't very dilated and Violet's heart rate was low. So they started to monitor her heart rate more often...and told us that her baseline heart rate was low and it was skipping a beat every once and while so they need to monitor her all the time. So I got this pain relief called gas and air...and it takes the edge of the e pain. It was so great!!
I must say that Joel and mom were the perfect team. Honestly it was amazing..Joel helped comfort me and I slept on him in between contractions, and mom was an amazing coach. She helped me breathe and focus on my breathing. The midwives as well were so great...they helped Joel and mom do a good job..and they took my whining and my pleading like heroes. I am so glad mom was here with us during the birth ....
Later I was dilated enough to get a epidural and again that was glorious and I wouldn't give birth without it!! It was so amazing I took a nap. Joel and mom went to get breakfast and I slept hard. As I woke up I saw about 8 doctors hustling and panicking around me. Not a good thing to wake up to. And Jo wasn't there because he went to get me a Sprite for my sore throat. They said that Violet's heart rate went dangerously low and they think her umbilical cord was wrapped around her neck and they need to take her out now. They said I was still only 8 cm dilated and that I wasn't progressing and they and to m move now. I was so panicked becuase Joel wasn't there and I needed him in the operating room with me. Just in the nick of time he showed up very confused as I was being wheeled away to have a C-section.
At first they said he couldn't come in the om w with me because they were going to t meme under general anaesthesia. Because they needed to take her out ASAP. But her heart rate rose again to a normal rate for a bit...and my wonderful midwife talked the doctors into letting me have a spinal epidural and letting Joel come in the room. Joel walks in with full hospital scrubs on and even surgical shoes... very funny! As they started to dig around in my insides, I am not going to lie it felt pretty cool. Lots of tugging and pulling. And finally her cry! It was loud and raspy! It was so amazing to hear her loud cry! Joel was able to cut her cord and help clean her up a bit. And hold her right away! And then he brought her over to me and I was able to hold my Violet Joy... she was so pretty right from the beginning!
As the doctors started to sow me up, they said that her cord wasn't wrapped around her neck but her arm and leg (they also said they don't see that much...doesn't really surprise me) and that she had actually moved her head back and up and was crammed in a very awkward position, so even if her heart rate was normal I would have had to have an C-section as I wouldn't have been able to deliver her.
Mom was in the recovery room directly next door and was able to hear her first cry...and see us quite soon after birth.
I st say i it was a crazy experience..one that I didn't expect to be so full of drama and panic. But now she is here..and is wonderful.
there is my short and not as dramatised birth story..ask me to tell it to you in person its much more interesting!!
here are the hospital pictures...more to come as she is changing every day!!
Violet Joy being weighed... 7.4 lbs!!
3 comments:
Good blog Adri.
wow what an ordeal for a lovely child. Way to go. Good family photo. I like the lots o photos on the blog. You are lucky that you have your own private photographer around.
can i just say - the photo of her flipping the bird is AMAZING! it doesn't look much like a bird though dave...
Oh-this is such a great story and wonderful pics!!
Post a Comment